Optec's new 4-port Instrument Selector allows the remote observatory user the ability to remotely select any of four instrument packages attached to their telescope.
This is Optec's new 4-port instrument selector. The photo shows a top view of the selector with two different CCD cameras, a single channel SSP photometer, and a separate TCF-S focuser and eyepiece. Any variety of instrument packages can be configured and used.
The 4-port selector is being demonstrated in the video below on a Meade 8-inch Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. However, it's really designed for at least a C11 class telescope. This is a robust design and intended for permanent observatory instruments only.here are four instrument ports - three 2-inch ports and one 3-inch port available with the Perseus. In the video below, the mirror is not yet attached to the prototype but it is an 1/8th wave first surface elliptical mirror with a 3-inch minor axis.
The embedded circuit has a single push button interface for use at the telescope and an RS232 DB9 interface for remote control. LED indicators show the currently selected instrument.
- Overall Height: 7.00" (17.8cm)
- Main Body Diameter: 4.25" (10.8cm)
- Weight: approx. 5 lb. (2.25 kg)
- Telescope Adapter: OPTEC-3600 Female Dovetail Mount
- Instrument Ports: Three 2-inch & One 3-inch
- Primary Port #1:
- Mechanical Interface: OPTEC-3600 Male Dovetail
- Clear Aperture: 3.0" (76mm)
- Back-focus usage: 4.5" (11.4 cm)
- Secondary Ports #2, #3, #4:
- Primary Mechanical Interface: OPTEC-2400 Male Dovetail
- Clear Aperture: 2.1" (53mm)
- Back-focus usage: 4.3" (11.0cm)
- Secondary Interface: Knurled Parfocal adjusting OPTEC-2300 Receiver
- Clear Aperture: 1.9" (48mm)
- Back-focus usage: 5.0" to 5.5" (12.7cm to 14cm)
- Total Parfocal Travel: 0.5" (12.7mm)
- Mounting Options: T-thread, SCT thread, C-mount, Pentax
- Control Interface: Push-button Selection
- Communications Interface: RS-232 serial with DB9 connector
- Software Interface: Dedicated Applet and serial command interface