Re-designed and re-introduced in 2020, Optec's new Flat-Man XL-2 electroluminescent calibration panels make it easy to obtain your flat-field calibration images on demand, scaling to the largest telescopes. This product updates and replaces the Flat-Man XL which revolutionized the way flats are acquired at both professional and amateur observatories around the world.
Significantly improved lamps and combined inverter and power supply are coupled with Optec's DMX controller in an elegant USB interface. Light levels can be varied in conjunction with camera exposure times to get the perfect ADU count. With our proven Alnitak software and the new ASCOM Alpaca interface (coming soon), all the popular scripting software works great with the new XL-2 panels.
Our testing shows that the Flat-Man XL-2 provides an exceptionally evenly illuminated field when imaged by a camera mounted to a telescope focused at infinity. Image flatness is of utmost importance for both today's millimagnitude exoplanet photometry and the extensive stretching that is being done with aesthetic astronomical imaging. For the serious observer with a large observatory mounted telescope there is now a way to guarantee excellent flats on demand.
"The Flat-Man XL's are outstanding and are really a life saver for us to get customers their flats in a timely manner"
- Steve Cullen, President/CEO at LightBuckets
Our Windows software will light and control the brightness of the Flat-Man XL2. The intensity of the light can be adjusted to one of 255 levels. Programs using our provided library or AACmd can use the XL2 without any changes.
- Electroluminescent Lamp Type: Split-Electrode with external inverter
- Frame Material: 1"x1" square aluminum extrusion, anodized
- Diffuser Material: Plexiglas Type 2447 material
- Lamp Diffuser Dimensions:
- 18" x 18"
- 24" x 24"
- 30" x 30"
- Frame Dimensions: Lamp Diffuser + 3"
- Controller Dimensions: 9.3" x 7.3" x 2.9" (236 x 185 x 74mm)
- Controller Weight: 3.8 lbs. (1.7 kg)
- Lamp Panel Weight: 18" x 18" size - 14 lb. (6.4 kg)
- Lamp Panel Weight: 24" x 24"size - 17 lbs. (7.7kg)
- Lamp Panel Weight: 30" x 30" size - 22 lbs. (10kg)
- Power requirements: 100-240 VAC (100W) for illumination, 5VDC for control (USB provided)
- Mounting Holes: One top center and five along left and right sides
- Mounting Options: VESA mounting kits and tripod mounts optionally available
- Alnitak Software Compatibility: Windows 7 and 10.
- Command Line Program: AACmd.exe
- Alnitak Flat-Man XL-2
- Controller / Power supply
- USB cable
"Demystifiying Flat Fields"
Visit the Alnitak Downloads page for the latest Quick Start Guide, Alnitak Installation Manual and Software Reference Guide, and Serial Command List.